Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Onsen

I spent the evening of my 23rd birthday soaking in an Onsen along with my Austrian friend and neighbor Andy. Similar to the picture below, an Onsen is a shallow outdoor pool with hot, mineral water circulating through it.  



Popular with natives and tourists alike, these natural hot springs are located throughout Japan thanks to the volcanic activity below. Onsens have long been a part of Japanese tradition. Relaxation and rejuvenation is now the primary motive for visiting rather than hygiene. The particular Onsen we visited is called Asarigawa Onsen and is about a 40 minute bus ride from the university dormitory. Patrons are expected to strip down and scrub up. It is not only good manners but also strict policy to thoroughly clean the body before entering the body. As with many things Japanese, cleanliness is next to Godliness (or Buddha-ness, if you will). It seemed as if I spent more time soaping myself than soaking; nonetheless, I could feel the calming, therapeutic benefits for many days after.

No comments:

Post a Comment